I urge you to write a brief letter and send it to each of these companies. You can copy and paste the same text if you like. It should take less than an hour to run through this list!
1. Be polite (they are less likely to think you are a fanatic and more receptive to your message). It is ESPECIALLY important to be polite when writing messages on different companies' Facebook Pages. Faithful customers will be reading your comments and will not be receptive to insults and polarizing language. If your message is furious and violent, the company may also alert Facebook that you are spamming their page and Facebook may revoke your posting rights. Be nice.
2. Let them know how disappointed you are that they do not support our right to know what is in our food (i.e. Proposition 37).
3. Explain that although you love their products (if you do), you will not be purchasing them anymore.
4. Explain that you will also be talking to your investor/bank because you do not want any of your investments supporting the company.
5. Explain that you will be communicating your reasons for boycotting the company to all of your friends.
6. Ask them to change their policy and support the mandatory labeling of genetically engineered organisms, and that you will reconsider your boycott if they make such changes.
Send this page as a link to everyone who you think might be concerned about GMOs!
NOTE: Alliance for Natural Health has just produced this great page where we can send a letter to all of the companies at once! It is very important to sign on to this and spread it widely. But form letters are really NOT substitutes for individual letters. Do both!
Organic Consumer's Association now has a webpage with the call lines of these companies too, if you'd rather give them a ring!
Biotech Company Contacts:
Council of Biotechnology Information
Biotechnology Industry Organization
Food Company Contacts:
Pepsi's Facebook Page
Grocery Manufacturers Association
Kraft Foods Facebook Page
Coke's Facebook Page
Nestle's Facebook Page
ConAgra's Facebook Page
General Mills' Facebook Page
Frosted Flakes Facebook Page
Smithfield Foods Facebook Page
Del Monte Foods
Del Monte Facebook Page
Campbell's Soup Facebook Page
Heinz Facebook Page
Hershey's Facebook Page
The J.M. Smucker Company
Smucker's Facebook Page
Ocean Spray Cranberries
Ocean Spray Facebook Page
Mars Food North America
Mars Facebook Page
Unilever Facebook Page
Bumble Bee Foods
Bumble Bee Foods Facebook Page
Dean Foods Company
Bunge North America
McCormick & Company
McCormick Facebook Page
Wrigley Jr. Company
Wrigley's Extra Facebook Page
Cargill Facebook Page
Rich Products Corporation
Dole Packaged Foods
Knouse Foods Cooperative
OK. So those are the bad guys. Now we don't want to just be negative activists and criticism should only ever be a portion of our important work. We must also take time to thank, congratulate, and admire those striving to move humanity towards a sustainable future. There are companies and organizations who have contributed lots of money to support labeling of GMOs. They need to know how much we appreciate them!
Contact these proactive companies too!
Major Companies supporting labeling of GMOs:
There were many more companies that just these supporting our efforts, and many organizations and citizen groups as well! They all deserve our recognition and support. For a full list of labeling endorsers, visit this link!
New: Organic Consumer's Association now has a form letter to thank all of the supporters. You can reach it here.
Other posts related to taking action against the biotech bullies: 10 Easy Ways, The Next Step after Prop 37, Cyberactivism